Pages

Thursday, December 26, 2013

Modern Danish Chair

Hello there.  Hope you had a fantastic Happy Holiday/Merry Christmas week (trying hard to cover all of my bases between you politically and non-politically correct peeps)!  What did you get for Christmas? I got a shot gun.  Didn't see that one coming, did you?  Well, when the apocalypse comes, make sure to find me.


Anywho, we are back with another DIY post costing less than sixteen buckaroos including the chair!  Crazy you say?!  No!  We are dead serious.

I was strolling one of my favorite thrift stores, Savers, when I came across a chair that needed a little help.  Lucky me I went to Savers when they were offering a Savers Saving Card!  Ha!  All the more reason to purchase something I didn't necessarily need.

Now, what I love about Savers is it is generally the biggest used discount store among all of the other discount stores.  It would be the magical fairy goddess in the land of kings and queens.  It.has.everything.  The only thing is, you need a little time to check it out.  Similar to TJ Maxx, people move shit around all of the time so walking up and down the aisles is key.  Oh, and also make sure you donate!  Every time you donate you get a 20% off coupon.  Score!  After all of my coupons and Savers card, the chair came to a little less than five bucks.  Not too shabby.

I hightailed it to Hancock Fabrics hoping to find the most perfect fabric ever.  In the back of the store they have leftover designer fabric remnants from people who special order it, but don't quite need it all for $5.00 a yard.  I found a very danish-modern-mid-century appearing yellow plaid fabric I knew was going to be spot in with the look I was going for.  I took a yard and half and grabbed a couple packages of brown fabric tacks and off I went.  Here is the breakdown so far:

Chair- $4.78
Fabric- $7.50
Tacks- $2.25
--------------
$14.53 + tax

Once I got home, I made Shane do the heavy lifting by bringing the chair inside.  I give him a lot of credit going back outside in 20 below temps to get a piece of garbage from my car that we didn't did need.

Look at that charm and potential!  And dust.  Check out the thick coating on the legs and seat.  Hot.

Displaying photo.JPG

I am not sure what was more terrible, the fabric color and half ass attempt at fixing a chair or the unearthly amount of dust and debris that came from that chair.  Although I should give credit when credit is due... I appreciate the person who made this chair SO UGLY that no one else could possibly be interested.  Every time I ripped a little fabric away a dust cloud would attack my face.  Gretzky was not a fan of the dust clouds either.


Once the tacks and fabric were successfully removed and pretty easily at that, and the wood was cleaned four times over, it was time for bed.  This is the most stressful part about projects for me.  If I don't sit down and do it from start to finish at that very moment I am interested in doing it, I don't feel like going back to it again.  Lucky for me there was no shortage of excitement with this project during my work day.  SO much excitement that I got to experience that constant frustrated-panicky-caffeine-high feeling all day long.

I finally got home to my precious.  She was right where I left her, just waiting for me to touch her all over.

Displaying photo 1.JPG

The reupholstering was relatively easy for the most part.  The biggest issue was trying to match up the fabric and keeping it tight and smooth... that's what she said...  This is a pretty novice reupholstering project for any of you who may be nervous about attempting yours for the first time.  Just take your time and DON'T PANIC!  The best way to look at it is you are the only person in the world with your piece of furniture you are working on.  Guess what else, you are helping the environment.  I can't think of better reasons to do it.

It honestly only took me a total of two-three hours from start to finish for this chair redesign.  It could have taken even less if I wasn't distracted with other things.  Behold the final product:

Displaying photo 2.JPG

Yeah Boiii!



No comments:

Post a Comment