Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

Flower Power (Headband)

If you walk into any Francesca's boutique, Free People shop or Urban Outfitters store front, you may notice a common trend making it's way into the hearts of the more free-spirited folk... the flower head wrap.   Not to mention, these budded beauties are blowing up all over Pinterest too.  You know it's "in" when it shows up on you Pinterest feed.  Am I right or am I right?


Being on the more free-spirited side, I was pretty much thrilled about the idea of people wearing a bit of faux-nature around.  Just the thought of adorning a flower crown makes me feel that much more... gentle?  You know, kinda like Snow White surrounded by woodland creatures and talking trees-esque?

As whimsical and cute as these flower headbands are... the price tag is not all that sweet, frankly.  I personally feel that the $15-20 price point is teetering on the edge of being too much money, especially for mass produced flower head wraps.  Floral headbands could be construed as a fashion-risk, and nobody wants to throw away cash on something they are unsure about.





     

I wanted to see if I could make my own floral crown for less than $15.00.  Personal challenge accepted.


Supply List:

* floral stems
* floral wire
* floral tape
* scissors
___________
Cost: $10.88

Step 1:  Cut enough wire to comfortably wrap around your head twice- with a little extra wire on the end to secure the loop.


Step 2:  Wrap the wire with floral tape.  I had some brown laying around, which worked out perfectly as the stems of the faux flowers were also brown.  Small victories.


Step 3:  Add your flowers.  Since I had multiple branches I had to do a little cutting.  The floral stems themselves had wire in them, which makes it a lot easier to manipulate around the wire crown.  To secure the branches to the wire crown, I used the floral tape once again, wrapping the floral stem and the wire crown together.


Step 4:  Just for kicks, I added in a little more floral variety, still using the floral tape to secure the flowers on the wire crown.


Step 5:  Put it on your head and let the animals gather.

So, there is it.  Super simple supply list, and easy peasy steps.  Now I have to figure out what to spend my leftover $4.12 on.  Hm.  Coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment