Pages

Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Chalk Paint Review: Annie Sloan VS Americana Decor

This past weekend we loaded our plate with a few more construction and DIY goodies.  We are very excited that some of these 'bigger projects' are nearing completion.  

Through casual conversation, I've had a few friends mention they were surprised I had not yet jumped on the chalk paint bandwagon.  Well, I finally did, but I was wanting to make the information more valuable to our readers, therefore, I tried TWO different kinds of chalk paint, just for you!  Good big or go home. 

I had to re-vamp a little dresser that I just wasn't feeling.  Sometimes white is just to uh.. white.  I thought this dresser was the perfect opportunity to check out the latest and greatest chalk paint buzz.

Remember me?


The candidates were: Annie Sloan VS Americana Decor (from Home Depot).  This is what I found out about the two.  Mind you, this is my opinion and my opinion alone.


So, there it is.  I suppose I should explain my reasoning.  First, let us begin with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  For starters I do not live in a city where home decor boutiques are prevalent.  I have to hop in a car and drive my ass (about 90ish miles) just to pick up a super expensive quart (about $34.95) of paint that doesn't apply very well, unless you invest additional money into their even more expensive brushes.  To be honest, I would rather spend my money on anything else, but that.  

I found myself in a shop called Mama's Happy on Grand in St. Paul that carried ASCP.  It is a super cute shop that has basically dedicated themselves to Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.  If anything, it is a shop you should check out with your uh mom.

I looked at the color samples and decided to go with Graphite.  There was an image on Pinterest (where else?) that I kept coming back to--


I walked out of the shop spending about the amount of my car insurance payment.  In my hands I had a quart of wax, and a sample size of graphite.  The kind sales lady told me that a sample size should cover two or so dressers.  I only had one dresser to paint, so life was good.

Once I got the paint home, I read the instructions carefully.  Basically, it tells you to paint right over your gross, un-sanded, dirty dresser.  Now that I can do.  I had a hard time believing that this small sample size could cover a whole dresser, but two dressers?  It became apparent that this was one of the more disappointing lies I've been told in my life.  The paint barely covered the top and sides of the dresser.  I didn't even get to touch the drawers.  And without those "special" brushes, the dresser just looked a mess.  For weeks it sat in our basement, half naked painted.  Every time I went to the cities I told myself I was going to stop and pick up some more paint.  I could never bring myself to do it though.  That was when I remembered running across some chalk paint samples at Home Depot.

Home Depot and JoAnn Fabrics sells Americana Decor Chalk Paint.  I ended up ordering a 16 oz container in Relic-- which is very comparable to Graphite in ASCP-- for $15.98.  Bonus: I didn't have to pay for shipping since I sent it straight to my local HD.


I picked up a couple of 50 cent brushes and went to town on my dresser.  The application with Americana Decor Chalk Paint was very smooth.  I barely used any of the paint and managed to get two coats on, no problem.  The only issue I experienced with this particular paint was how easily it chipped off if I bumped it, or breathed on it.  This issue, however, was resolved after applying a clear coat of Annie Sloan Wax.  


I ordered these knobs from the Martha Stewart collection at Home Depot.  The hardware comes with two different sized bolts- neither of which worked for this dresser.  Once I pick new bolts up, I should be able to get the little 'platform' it comes with and the knob itself to meet up and create a little magic.



and just for comparison sake--


The end result?  If I were to use when I use chalk paint again, I will stick with Americana Decor.  However, if I had a money tree in my backyard, I would consider buying Annie Sloan Chalk Paint again.  I am a little shocked it took me this long to try out this paint.  I finally get what all of the buzz was about.  If you are nervous about giving it a go, start with something smaller.  You'll be happy you did.

I also wanted to leave you with a little snap shot of my art studio.  It will be a while longer until it is completely put together (new windows and trim, doors, etc.).  I seriously CANNOT wait to start creating in this little bugger.  


8 comments:

  1. Everything looks so great Jenna! I think instead of having a blog you need to have your own HGTV show!


    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything looks so great Jenna! I think instead of having a blog you need to have your own HGTV show!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. I read the entire article. Very helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you found some of the information helpful. :)

      Delete
  4. Thanks!!I have been wondering about this paint AD for a while,since I dont have easy access to Annie S paints .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just another tip-- If you go to Michael's Craft Store or Hobby Lobby, most locations sell Americana Decor. Use a 40% off coupon and save yourself some money for hardware. :)

      Delete
  5. That’s really so good to visit this site, the blog has helped me a lot in my thesis, before I was quite worried to clear my concepts, thanks. news

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even more cost effective...make your own chalk paint. Buy a box of Plaster of Paris at Michaels with a 40% coupon, go to Home Depot paint department and get their Behr or other sample size for $4.00 and have them tint it. Bring it home, mix 1/3 cup plaster in 1/3 cup cold water until smooth. Add the latex paint you just bought, mix well and voila...chalk paint. I only ever buy wax now, and I use the Country Chic waxes because they are all natural and use no mineral spirits. I believe they are made with beeswax.

    ReplyDelete