Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2015

A Window of Opportunity

Hello fellow readers,

Just stopping by with a quick fix and some tips when it comes to updating the accent wood in your house.

When we first moved in, the oak didn't bother me as much.  Then we noticed how scuffed the trim was.  I pulled off the tiniest trim piece to inspect it... but it didn't stop there.  The builders used three inch nails to secure the trim.  A little much?  It was rough.  There was absolutely no way we were preserving what we had.  Overtime we managed to replace most of the trim in our house with white.  Not sure why I am making such a big story about this...

We had an oak stained bay window that was a focal point, but maybe not in a good way?


Based off of feedback from others, the oak had to go.  Investing a lot of money into replacing everything was not ideal with our current bathroom reno and need for some new doors and windows.  Little to no budget?  No problem.  I did a similar technique that I used on our kitchen cabinets (find this here), by using oil based primer.  Depending on how much use the area you are painting is going to get, it wouldn't be a bad idea to do multiple coats of primer, allowing ample drying time in between.

Our bay window was given two coats of primer, and two coats of Behr's primer+paint in Silky White.  Even then, our dog still nicked it--squirrels-- I'd argue that it wasn't dry, but in reality, the bay window shelf could have used three coats of oil based primer.  Just remember that when you are applying oil based primer, use multiple foam brushes for ease.  If you want to clean a paint brush off with paint remover, feel free.  The world could always use more over-achievers.

I knew the window was going to look brighter, but this blinding was not expected.  It has been a very welcomed presence in our living room.  We finally shed the curtains too.  Thank goodness for decent tree coverage. Three months later I am sure I will re-visiting this new-found "issue."



Another step towards home renovation completion.  I'd hate to think of the cost of replacing our oak trim, instead of painting it.  I've got better things to spend my money on and I am sure you do too.  If you have been hesitant to change up your window color, or found this post to be inspiring enough to give it a try, what are you waiting for?  This is your window of opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment