Pages

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Bathroom Renovation Progress

Last night I lingered in the bathroom a bit longer then usual.  It's taken awhile, but the bathroom reno is nearing it's final stages and I can't help but be excited.

A few years back we replaced our less than desirable appearing linoleum sheet with a band-aid... more linoleum flooring but in tile form.  A couple years and several bathroom paint colors later we replaced our bathtub and bathroom vanity.  That brings me to this:



 


Not the worst but not the best either.  When we took on this bathroom "remodel," we burned through our budget pretty quick and couldn't go much further.  There it sat, like this, for the past two years, and because this was our first for a lot of things, particularly the tiling, the bathroom surround got a little wonky.  The tile stickers lasted us longer then it needed to, and looked better than it did, but it was time to move on to real-adulthood flooring.  Lessons learned, time to fix them.  

After doing a lot of research on resale value, I found that natural stone tile is the way to go. It is clean, neutral, and goes with pretty much anything.  I was really impressed with the tavertine tile that Lowes carried.  Our bathroom space called for fourteen 18x18 tiles (about 20 square feet).  I don't care to admit how much time I spent in Lowes painstakingly hand-picking and naming each sheet of tile... but... 3 hours.

Before the tile is laid, make sure to purchase and install a backer board for the tile to rest on.  It's the proper thing to do, and coming from the Queen of Half-Assing, this is one step you shouldn't be missing.

After removing the toilet and sink, we laid the tile, using roughly 2.5 gallons of mortar for a 20 square foot space.  Let the tile cure for 48 hours or so before filling it in with the grout color of your choosing.  *Tip: Work fast, efficiently and clean your water and sponge often.



We also wanted to clean up the tub surround a bit more.  By doing this, we installed two 2x4 boards to run down the side of the tub and surround, covering them with sheet-rock. It hid the first-timer tile job pretty well.

But why stop there?  Back in 1991, the sheet-rock installer guy was like, "Eh, I don't really feel like working today, so I'll just put up this wall and make the tape all squiggly before mudding.  Good enough." No I say.  Not good enough.  To fix this problem I decided to install simple faux wainscoting out of primed MDF boards to cover their despicable tape job.  Sad face.


I used my favorite-- vinyl filler to patch any holes and cracks, disguising the fact that their are MDF boards attached directly to the wall, and not in fact 'real' wainscoting.  I prefer my faux method in smaller spaces as it takes up less room.

The wainscoting was painted with White Dove by Benjamin Moore, and the top portion of the bathroom was done in Revere Pewter by Benjamin Moore.




There is obviously a lot of perfecting that still needs to take place, but I think we finally crossed the halfway point.  All that is left is the fun stuff-- accessorizing!  Ya boi!

I've been keeping my eye out for a vintage light fixture and mirror.  More recently I was introduced to a lighting and decor site called Schoolhouse Electric.  I can't tell you how many times I've filled my cart with things.  It's pressing the purchase part I can't get past. Maybe soon I'll cave.  As of right now, I have my heart set on this Grant Mirror in Marigold--


I'm also really loving this light fixture, but once again, I can't get over the fact that the fixture (excluding the shades) is pushing $200.00!!!  At this moment I am happily searching for alternatives.

Abrams Double Sconce - School House Electric


I am very much looking forward to sharing the great reveal.  Even I don't know what to expect.  If you have any ideas you'd like to pass this way when it comes to various lighting companies, cool mirrors you've seen, or whatever else, you've got my attention.  Until then!

XO
Jenna

UPDATE:  Check out our latest snapshot of our bathroom progress.  We are always revamping things around these parts, so check back again for more updates.

3 comments:

  1. Try lightingdirect.com. We are in the same boat as far as figuring out our bathroom and kitchen remodel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bathroom seems fine to me, but based on what you’re doing, it looks like we are about to be surprised. Anyway, you’ve got some pretty nice plans for your bathroom. I hope things turn out great. All the best!


    Homer Collins @ The Pinnacle Group Ltd

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are on the right track here. It's nice that you still picked up where you left off, despite how the remodeling strained your resources two years back, to such a point that you took down the previous toilet and the sink. And you have set up the tiles wonderfully. Though you should be mindful of the plumbing, so the new tiles won't overrun by flooding due to clogged drains or something. Good day!

    Levi Eslinger @ Capital Plumbing

    ReplyDelete