Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Dip Dying a Duvet Cover

Good morning boys and girls.  Today I am going to teach you how to dye a duvet cover.  Ready?  Okay, let's go!

Materials you may want to favor:
  • Latex/latex free/rubber gloves
  • A white duvet of your choosing ($29.99 @ Target)
  • Large glass bowl or plastic tote
  • Rit Dye (feel free to mix colors)
  • Salt (add one cup of salt for cotton based products)
  • Water
  • 1 tablespoon liquid laundry detergent (I used Woolite)
  • 30-40 minutes of your time
When I began this process, I didn't necessarily know what kind of look I was going for.  I found a couple images online of similar duvets for HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS. No!  I won't do it.


First off, follow the instructions on your Rit package or bottle.  I picked navy blue because, well, I liked it.


For larger projects you may want to use a large plastic tote of your choosing.  This is something that I probably should have done, but didn't feel like venturing outside in the garage to look for one.  Why? Because it is winter time in Minnesota.


I mixed my solution in my sink.  If you get a little (or a lot) of dye in/on your sink, don't cry.  Use a Magic Eraser. That shit works on everything.  Oh, and glove up.


To make sure the dye got where I wanted it to, I used a wooden spoon that I don't plan on using again.  You may want to consider picking out your own tool where you won't get devastated if ruined.


Once the duvet soaks up the dye-- I alternated times between sections to give the colors varying depth-- give it a good rinse, and hang dry what you can.  I may have made the mistake of putting the duvet through the washing machine, followed by the dryer.  I think the outcome was pretty cool, kind of this soft cloud effect.  I guess it goes to show you that there is no wrong way of doing it.  However, if you are seeking bright, vibrant hues, skip the washing machine.


For one of the first dying projects I've done, I like it... but I don't love it.  It may just be a bit too muted for me.  The nice thing about doing these kind of projects is, if it isn't perfect the first time, you can always try again.  Hello weekend plans.


1 comment: