Pages

Friday, December 19, 2014

Painted Pillow Swag on a Budget

If my life was measured in pillows, I'd be winning.  It's seriously nutty how many throw pillows I have.  I would also hate to admit how much I paid for those said pillows.  The issue?  I am a sucker for change.  It's okay though, guys!  I finally found the solution.


... Ikea pillow covers.  Bet you saw that one coming.  I am slowly finding "our" style in our home.  Sometimes it is easy to forget that there is a boy living under the same roof, so I am trying to be consciences of that too. Needless to say, there has been a lot of trial and error... and turmoil?  Hm.  Sounds about right. I am quickly drawing the conclusion that I don't have an exact style-- I just like what I like.

For starters I picked up a couple Gurli cushion covers from Ikea ($4.00 a pop), and their down inner cushion inserts ($6.99 each).  I've really been drawn to geometric shapes, not to mention the Swiss cross, therefore, that pattern was a given.


I picked up some fabric paint made by Tulip @ JoAnn fabrics.  Check out their Soft line.  It is ideal for these type of projects.  Next, I grabbed a mail flyer and cut my pattern into it.  Also known as the poor man stencil, make sure your paper is pretty thick.  We aren't looking for soggy here.



Before you begin, it is never a bad idea to iron your pillow cover.  You'll at least want to flatten the deep wrinkles.  For my pattern, I eyeballed it.  I love the idea of something being slightly imperfect.  Use your paintbrush or foam brush (both will work) and blot the area.


Move your stencil to another section and start again.  Keep going until you think you got it just right. Then, order a Topper's pizza and eat it.


Here is another quick pattern I did for reference.  I just used some tape and filled in the center with gold paint.  The options are seriously endless.  From simple to complex, you can do it all.


After a little drying time, you end up with some pretty cool ass pillows.


No comments:

Post a Comment