Pages

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Another Day, Another Dresser

Hey fellow project do-ers,

Wasn't yesterday absolutely gorgeous?  My goodness.  It made for a great outdoor project day.  With the weather turning colder, I wanted to take advantage of some projects that have been in limbo for awhile before the snow actually fell.

Up next on the chopping block:


I snagged this little dresser from Salvation Army for $10.00.  Not bad.  The drawers slide well and the piece is solid wood.  It just needed a little TLC. Thrifting is seriously underrated.

First things first.  I sanded the pieces and cleaned it off with some tack cloth.  If you haven't used this stuff before when doing make-over projects, it seriously makes the job so much easier.

The dresser drawers had various holes in it that needed to be patched.  I can't imagine the hardware being original, as there were two extra holes not being used.  I decided to fill these holes with a little caulk.  That's what he said...




Moving on.  I covered the holes with a little painting tape on the inside of the drawer.  After thinking about it, you may want to consider putting the tape on the front side of the drawer.  That way when you fill in the hole and pull off the tape when the caulk is dry, you have a flush surface to work with, without having to use any wood putty/filler.  Lesson learned.

 

Once the putty was dry, I used a sander to clean up the excess.  I topped off the holes with a little wood filler to ensure it was nice and flush.  Once the putty dried, I sanded it smooth.  Make sure to use your tack cloth again to gain a nice, clean and smooth surface.

 


This particular dresser was already painting white.  The undercoat was a nasty cranberry color.  Eek.  Due to the dresser already being white, I opted to skip out on the primer.  I used Benjamin Moore Premium paint in White Dove.  This paint is great for wood, doors, and trim.  It has a nice satin finish, which is easy to clean off, but not too shiny where the piece of furniture sticks out like a black bean in a bowl of white rice.


I used a foam roller for the large, flat surfaces (ex. sides and top) and a paint brush for the drawer fronts and little grooves.  Small, even strokes work best.


I wasn't a huge fan of the knobs.  Not my thing.  However, I do have my eye on a couple of options from Anthropologie.  Their hardware is so unique and beautiful.  One knob will cost more than the dresser.  I'd like to think of the knobs as accessories.  They can dress up even the most basic white t-shirt.  I've really been into various colors and textures of metals and geodes lately.  Here are a few that I have my eye on--

  
 
  
Check back for an update on the final product.  Hope you enjoy these last few warm days we have left, and tackle a project that you've been holding on to.  Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment