Pages

Monday, October 6, 2014

Nooks and Crannies

So, this little post may not necessarily warrant a blog post, but A. I'm still happy with the outcome and wanted to share, and B. It might light a fire under you, and tackle a quick and easy project you may have not even considered.

There are areas of the house that can get overlooked.  Easy.  We have several, but yesterday I decided to take on one that I knew wouldn't turn into something much bigger... right away that is.

Ever since we put up our new light fixture, the rays have been illuminating areas of our house that we have failed to pay attention to.  Mainly the hallway closet to be exact.

Let's take a look--



So many scuffs.  I also uncovered one Pokemon card, two fairly impressive spiderwebs, one penny, and three screws.  How had I missed this?  Seven years after moving in, this stuff was making our closet a home.  Sadly, I didn't find the spider(s), but I am guessing they were of adequate size judging by the extent of the spiderwebs.  Eek.

More recently I've been diggin' the Benjamin Moore grey hues.  I've really been curious about Stonington Gray, and wanted to make sure it was the right choice before painting a larger room.  I'm not the only one liking this color either.  You can find this paint in the ever-creative and beautifully designed home of the bloggers from Young House Love, as well as sought-after stores like Pottery Barn.

Stonington Gray
I really like how clean this color is.  I know gray used to be "the thing" back in the late 80's, early 90's, but I can't say that this particular hue is outdated in anyway.


After some quick prepping and a hasty wipe down of the walls, my 40 minute make-over began and ended.  I used a satin finish because it's awesome for a job like this.  Reason being satin finishes deliver a shinier look which makes it easier to hide problem areas, as well as having stain and scrub resistance qualities.  This type of finish makes it ideal for living rooms, dining rooms, hallways, bedrooms, and closets.

After one coat
Although it may be tough to judge on the computer, in person the contrast between that yellowed off-white color and the cool soothing gray is night and day.

... and because people are curious, here's a couple of mandatory snap shots of the crap we have in our closet, excluding like 90% of it.  I mean, these photos are online after all.  We can't let people know we live like slobs.



So fresh and so clean, clean.

Never thought I would be so proud of the inside of a closet.  But alas, small changes can make the world of difference.  So, I guess what we are trying to say is in order to make your home feel extra special, don't forget the nooks and crannies.  Even though people won't be coming over and looking in your closets, the fact that you know it's the bomb diggity is all that matters, and that's pretty neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment