Pages

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

The Bat Tree (DIY)

Fall is certainly in the air and on the ground.  The two huge trees in our front yard have shed their bright yellow leaves, and I think it is far too pretty to rake them up right now.  I could easily say that fall is my favorite season, like ever.  Actually I should probably clarify that.  There is a 3-4 week window when the temperatures are warm enough to stand, and cool enough to pull out your favorite sweater(s) and riding boots.  Once I see snowflakes, I'm outtie.  I've also had the good fortune of coming up with some of the most kick-ass costume ideas ever.  Usually couple costumes with my hubs and sister is the route I prefer to take.  Here are some of my favorites if you are looking for a little inspiration yourself.
Black Swan/White Swan
Dia De Los Muertos

Wayne's World

Effie Trinket

There's Something About Mary
Enough about awesome costumes, let's get down to brass tacks.  About a month ago I started pulling out Halloween decorations only to find that my Edgar Allan Poe snow-globe didn't make it through the winter, turning all of my decorations into moldy swamp monsters.  Sad story.  Needless to say I took this as a learning opportunity to make my decorations instead of trusting big box stores... bastards.

List of Materials:
A stick with branches (free)
A spool of black ribbon ($2.99)
Foam ($3.19)
White or yellow Puffy Paint ($1.99)
Vase/Lantern (free because I had one)
Vase filler (I used some free rocks)
______________________________
Total Cost: $8.00 and some odd cents

The first step was finding a stick.  Me and Shane came across a brush pile while walking our pup last night.  It was a handsome stick, but Shane was convinced there were bugs on it.  Gretzky was a fan of it too.  Every time I turned my back he munched on it a little. 

I grabbed an amber colored lantern thingy I had laying around the house and cut the foam block down to size to fit into the lantern. Then I shoved my stick into the foam, pressing down firmly.  I placed a few rocks on top of the foam to hold the stick in place.




Next came the fun part.  I loosely tied black ribbons to different branches to give the illusion of bats, and cut the ends of the ribbon at a sharp angle.  Once I was satisfied with the amount of bats I had on my branches, I applied two white puffy paint eyes to each ribbon.  I think you could have a lot of fun with the eye color.  Even green would be kinda spooky!



So there you have it.  A project that costs under $10.00 that I feel adds a lot of pizzazz to your holiday decor, while still being subtle and classy!  Now, go make yourself a bat tree, ghouls.

No comments:

Post a Comment